|Cannon Design –– interior. Photograph copyright © Andrew Raimist.|
|Cannon Design –– looking down on desk. Photograph copyright © Andrew Raimist.|
A new form-language is used for the inserted materials: curvilinear white plastered surfaces which contrast beautifully with the patina of corrosion on the existing steel elements as well as the rich reddish-browns in the heavy exterior masonry bearing walls. The base of these walls is clad with white glazed tile, a functional touch that would allow for cleaning the walls at the ground floor. Originally, the monumental volume was filled with massive boilers and two enormous smoke stacks to disperse the smoke from burning coal which provided steam heat to a section of downtown in the area of City Hall and the Civil Courts Building.
|Excerpt from an aerial view postcard of St. Louis with Power House location indicated.|
The original Power House structure was massive, monumental and designed in a Florentine Renaissance manner drawing upon Palazzo Vecchio for its inspiration. The following elevation was published in The American Architect with design by Study & Farrar, Architects.
|The Power House structure stands taller than the rest of the block with two monumental smokestack towers.|
|View of 1923 Municipal Power House. The two smoke stacks are cropped out at the top.|
|Cannon Design Power House –– interior nave. Photograph copyright © Andrew Raimist||.|